Should you look to work with real estate agents?

For some lawn care business owners, working with real estate agents can be quite helpful. They can get you more work than most other individual contacts you have. They can introduce you to other realtors they work with. And they can help you to gain access to commercial properties that need lawn care as well. But as you will see in this discussion from the Gopher Lawn Care Business Forum, there are some that have negative experiences with them too. So keep this in mind when you go out looking for real estate agents to help your business. Some will be more helpful than others. Look to work with those that seem to be movers and shakers in your area.

One lawn care business owner asked “what’s your experience with Real Estate Agents? I just recently got some jobs with one and have charged a little more than I usually do. The first job I got is at a home no one lives in. I was just driving down a street and saw a for sale sign in front of the home. The lawn looked like it hadn’t been mowed in a while so I called the number on the for sale sign and asked if they would like me to cut it. They said yea sure so now I do it weekly. I also got a mulching and leaf removal job from them for another property.

I have since come to find out that the real estate agent I am working with, works for the development company that built all the houses in my local community. The agent told me they have 4 more houses that need mowing as well. All jobs will be priced at a fair rate and are currently unoccupied. At three of those houses, they also want me to put new mulch in and clear out all the fall leaves.

So far I haven’t used lawn care contracts, and even so, the realtor has paid me every 2 weeks by check. And luckily, none of the checks have bounced. All this work from one phone is not bad, so I was concerned if I should be wary of any problems when working with them.”

A second lawn care business owner added “if you ask me about real estate agents, I’d say forget em’.

My experience with them has shown me they are a waste of time around here. Every real estate agent I have been hired by, has been my WORST client.

The ones I tried to work with really seemed to suck at their job. They didn’t do much advertising and didn’t seem to have many listings of their own. A lot of them seem to be more desperate than I was when it came to work.

I don’t think they have any special power to boost your advertising / clientele list. They can go an entire lifetime without having a client of their own while working another full time job to pay the bills.

Plus, they won’t usually advertise you to their clients. They’ll just call you to maintain property before an ‘open house’ & it’s always out of their pocket, so don’t expect much.”

A third shared “in my opinion, real estate agents are normal people…sometimes you get a P.I.T.A. and sometimes you get a good egg. I would say as long as this one is treating you right and paying on time with good checks, keep moving forward. The thing with real estate agents is they have quite a large network of people they talk with. If you do a perfect job every time, they will refer your company to others, and before long, you’ll have more business and more $$$.

I am a firm believer in word of mouth advertising. It has done wonders for my lawn care business, and in fact it makes up about 60% of my new customers. The other 40% is from advertising, such as my website and lettering on my vehicle. Flyers don’t work for me and radio and tv ads are way too expensive. Do quality work and you’ll grow my friend.”

Order the book How To Get Commercial Lawn Care And Snow Plow Customers today.

Use these lawn care and snow plow estimators for your Android phone.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Check out the Gopher Lawn Care Business Forum for great prices on new and used lawn care equipment:

Chain Saw

Dethatcher

Garden Tools

Hedge Trimmer

Lawn Aerator

Leaf Blower

Leaf Vacuum

Mower Blades

Mower Ride On

Mower Walk Behind

Multi Attachment Trimmers

Pole Saw

Pressure Washer

Salt Sand Spreader

Shop Tools

Snow Blower

Snow Plow

Stick Edger

String Trimmer

Stump Grinder

Sulky

Tractor Attachment

Trailers

Trailer Landscape Racks

Trencher
Lawn Care Business Books And Software.
How To Get Lawn Care Customers Vol. 2
The landscaping and lawn care business plan startup guide
A rebellious teenagers guide to starting a landscaping & lawn care business
The GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show Episode Guide.
Stop Lowballing! A Lawn Care Business Owner\'s Guide To Success